Finally, the power supply is finished and I’m pleased to say that never in the history of powering up a transformer has there been so little to get excited about.
With the inrush / soft start designed and most of the parts ordered my mind turned to the other components I’m going to need to finish the case.
In part eight I discussed the problem with inrush into the power supply and some potential solutions. In this part I’ll show the actual solution I’ll be using.
I’ve got to the point where I have a stepper motor turning but I’m hesitant to move forward until I have the inrush issue fixed with the power supply.
Now that everything is in the case and the control buttons are wired up it’s time to look at providing power to motors and get things turning. Before I rush into that though it’s time to correct and oversight.
The mounting panel now sports all the parts that will go into the case (except the PMDX, but the standoffs are in) so I moved on to fitting the various buttons, lights and dials to the cabinet door.
With the basic circuit checked and holes drilled for everything that would mount to the panel it was time to get the panel into the case.
Now that I had the power supply cornered and exactly where I wanted it it was time to mount the other components on the panel.
With the power supply frame completed I moved onto the mounting plate.
Now that I had a layout it was time to start the build and the first thing I did was change part of the plan…