You can’t beat a nice bit of belly pork! Easy 10/10 from me and the family.
Serves 4 when served with rice or mashed potatoes.
- 750g belly pork
- 30ml vegetable oil
- 12 shallots chopped finely or a large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic or 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 50ml soy sauce (low salt is best, the dish is quite salty)
- 135g brown sugar
- 3 star anise (maybe 2 if people aren’t familiar with the flavour)
- 15g Chinese 5 spice powder
- 25ml fish sauce
- Brown the belly pork in a frying pan.
- Soften the onion or shallots in the frying pan, slightly brown.
- Add the belly pork, shallots / onion and the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker pot coating the meat as you do.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4.
- Optional, place everything on a tray and reduce the sauce in the oven until sticky – not worth the effort.
Eat with mashed potato or rice.